Question:

From Manchester, New Hampshire, USA:

My son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was nine months old. Just recently he would wake up just fine then about a half an hour later he would tell me he could not move his legs, and that he would have a terrible headache. This would last about and hour or so. This has happen twice already. Is this diabetes related or does he have the possibility of a migraine headache? The emergency room doctor seems to think it is a migraine headache while our son's diabetes specialists thinks it is because he experienced low blood sugars during the night. But when he experienced this, I checked his blood sugars and they are not low.

Answer:

Your son's cluster of symptoms seems to me to not be related to his diabetes.

I obviously don't know the details of your son's insulin therapy, metabolic control nor the values of home blood sugar monitoring over the day and night (especially around 3 A.M.). Although you say that when he experienced his symptoms his blood sugars were not low (which is against hypoglycemia as the cause), morning headache can sometimes follow nocturnal or early morning hypoglycemia.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Hypoglycemia