Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

My girlfriend has been Type 1 for about 10 years (she is 21). She also has a thyroid condition (although I cannot remember if it is over or under active). Her A1c is great when she goes in for checkups, usually at nondiabetic levels. I am greatly concerned for her long term health, and was wondering what are the possible results from her becoming pregnant (besides having a child). Also, what are normal life expectancies these days for Type 1 diabetics who are under good control?

Answer:

If your girlfriend maintains good control of her blood glucose before conception and during pregnancy, then she should minimize the risks of pregnancy with diabetes. It will be important that she be managed by an appropriate team: obstetrician, diabetologist, dietitian and diabetic nurse educator. Her thyroid condition can also be easily managed during pregnancy. With good control of blood glucose, frequent eye and kidney examinations, your girlfriend should lead a long life.

Posted to Family Planning