From Missouri, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and am middle-aged. My general practitioner has given me a sample box of Evista (raloxifene HCl) to try. My usual hesitancy has me looking at the box, but not trying anything. I take minerals, including calcium, daily. Is there any way I can know if I need this product? Why take something just because there is, in general, a need, in women, to do something about increasing bone strength?

I do not prescribe raloxifene in my practice, but I have gathered some information from my internist and gynecologic colleagues. This drug is an alternative to hormone replacement in postmenopausal women. It has minimal stimulating effects on the uterus, does not treat hot flashes and may reduce osteoporosis. It is useful in women at risk for breast or uterine cancer and has a good lipid profile. However, estrogen products are cheaper, more effective in relieving menopausal symptoms, is safe in diabetics and there are many more years of experience than with Raloxifene.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

You can look through Eli Lilly's website about Evista for the company's official information about using this new product.

Estrogens have been well-studied as part of a triad of medications (estrogen, calcium, and vitamin D) to help protect the bones in post-menopausal women. Estrogen also helps protect from heart attack in older women, and have other good effects on the skin and decreasing menopausal symptoms. Generally, it's considered better to use estrogen, unless there's a large worry about cancer of the breasts or uterus. Estrogen also does have some effects on raising blood sugar, but these are minimal, and do not alter the decision to use or not use it.

Posted to Other Medications