My 20-year old niece has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. At best, she is taking mediocre care of her health--she doesn't exercise although I'm happy she doesn't smoke. I would like to know how serious this is, for example what is her approximate life expectancy compared to that of a 20-year old girl without diabetes? Or where can I find this information?

Does your niece have an endocrinologist? I think that if she does not have a treatment team working with her, it is not surprising that she has taken a passive attitude toward her diabetes. Also, given her age, her behavior is not so different from others in her age cohort.

I cannot give you hard and fast facts about life expectancy. With all of the advances in management of diabetes, a lot depends on your niece herself! My position is that she will take better care of herself with support than with criticism. I know it is hard to take a hands off attitude when you love someone. But, she is an adult now, even if her behavior may contradict that fact.