From London, England:

I was diagnosed diabetic about 4 months ago and was told I could control it by diet. I have an electronic tester and my numbers vary from 5.7 to 17 mmol/l [103 to 206 mg/dl], rarely the higher and regularly the lower. I don't really understand a lot about diabetes, am a member of the BDA and read their mags.

However lately I feel very tired and bad tempered almost to the point of being violent (which I never am) also easily confused. I am 42 years of age, also overweight: 19 stone, 5 feet 8 inches. I don't eat junk food; it is always steamed vegetables, white meat salad, pasta, rice, no fatty foods whatsoever. I sometimes wonder wether my doctor just diagnosed me diabetic to see if it made me lose weight. Are my numbers that I gave you those of a diabetic? I don't seem to find any information on your website about diet-alone diabetes.

Diet is a major factor in controlling Type 2 diabetes, as is weight control. If you are having these symptoms eating the way you explain that you are, I think that it is time to ask your doctor to reevaluate your treatment regimen. I would also recommend you see a dietitian who is familiar with Type 2 diabetes to help evaluate your diet and activities.

You do not mention how often you are checking blood sugars. If the tests are done only once a day, you may be missing other important numbers.

Type 2 diabetes is frustrating because the increased amount of insulin in your body may be making you hungry. Some of the symptoms you described could also be low blood sugars. I emphasize you need to talk to your doctor and if he/she is not an endocrinologist, you may need to ask for a referral to one.