From West Miami, Florida, USA:

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Type 1 diabetes. She weighs 47 pounds. Her height is 45 1/2 inches. She was put on a 1700 calorie diet consisting of 3 carbs for each breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2 carbs each snack (3 times a day). 4 Fats a day and 4 proteins. The problem is before being diagnosed she was a very light eater, but whenever she was hungry she would eat something. Now she eats as planned every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and seems to be hungry all the time. Are we under-feeding her?

From what you say, I do not think you are underfeeding her. The number of calories sounds appropriate, but I think we need to know the insulin doses and times. It might be that the hunger is a result of the insulin peaks. Perhaps a different insulin regimen should be discussed with the diabetes team. Keep in mind that if you test her blood glucose when she feels hungry, that value should determine if she needs a snack that contains a rapid-acting carbohydrate or just a freebie snack, as a sugarfree popsicle or sugarfree jello. She is probably in her honeymoon period now, so patience and good record-keeping is a must to determine insulin amounts.

Additional comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

Sometimes for the first few weeks after the diagnosis of diabetes, kids are very hungry. Their appetite and eating settle down to normal in a short time.