Question:

About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with functional hypoglycemia, and my doctor told me that most often it changes into Type 1 Diabetes within 10 years. The symptoms and treatment are similar to Type 1. I have a doctor who knows nothing more than this. Are there any health care professionals out there that know anything about this? Should I be monitoring my sugar levels with a monitor? My doctor doesn't know. I am a 16 year old female, and would like any advice you have.

Answer:

I'm afraid I don't know any more than you. Occasionally patients at diagnosis of diabetes describe symptoms in the previous few months that may have been hypoglycaemia but I have never heard of this lasting for 10 years before diagnosis. If I were you I would seek a second opinion and ask for diabetes antibody testing if you are worried about developing diabetes. No I don't think you need a meter. If you are known to become hypo after a long fast then don't have long fasts and if you feel dizzy or faint eat something sweet (e.g., 3 dextrose tablets).

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

We do not usually recommend quick-acting carbohydrates be eaten alone for someone with definite hypoglycemia since that may trigger rebound hypoglycemia. So we suggest if someone feels shaky and symptomatic of hypoglycemia, they eat something sweet along with a complex carbohydrate and protein, if possible, as a glass of juice with crackers and cheese.

LSF

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia