Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 three months ago. His doctor believes he is either in the early stage or in the honeymoon. He is currently taking only N, 2 times per day, 5 units in the A.M. and 3 units at dinner. Can you explain to me the importance of timing the injections in relation to meals? Is it essential that the injection be before he eats, or can he do it after the meal? He would like to test before the meal and inject after. He has adjusted so well to all his new responsibilities that I would like to give him this little bit of decision making power, if it is possible.

Answer:

It has been my experience that children in their honeymoon period seem to have a little bit more flexibility in their diabetes management without it affecting blood sugars. I would think that it would be okay to do this since he is only taking N. I would continue to monitor his blood sugars and if you see a difference (like higher numbers) then go back to pre-meal injections.

JW

Additional comments from Dr. Deeb:

NPH or other intermediate acting insulins can be given either before or after the meal. We often give NPH at bedtime.

It is the rapid acting insulin, lispro insulin, the fastest-acting insulin, or Regular, the next fastest, that are used to control the glucose at the meal. Most of the time these insulins are given before meals. Because we mix them with NPH, we have traditionally given the NPH before the meal.

Posted to Insulin and Honeymoon