Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am an elementary school teacher and a children's book writer. I had a first grader who was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I have written a story and want to send it to publishers. In my cover letter, I would like to list some statistics: How many children in America have diabetes, What are their ages, etc. Do you have any of this information?

Answer:

About 14 million people in the United States have some form of diabetes, although only half are diagnosed. Type 1, or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM), most often develops in children and young adults. Sometimes people over the age of 40 get type 1 diabetes, but it usually begins at younger ages. Type 1 is one of the most common chronic disorders of children in the United States. Each year 11,000 to 12,000 children are diagnosed with Type 1. Among the more than 7 million people in the United States who are being treated for diabetes, about 5 to 10% have Type 1. Worldwide, the prevalence and incidence varies from one geographic location to another, with the incidence being highest in the Scandinavian countries of Sweden, Finland and Norway, and the lowest in Japan.

References:

• U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    Public Health Services
    National Institutes of Health

• American Diabetes Association
    ADA National Service Center
    1660 Duke Street
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    (800) 232-3472

• American Association of Diabetes Educators
    100 West Monroe Street, 4th floor
    Chicago, IL 60603
    (800) 338-DMED (338-3633)

• National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
    1 Information Way
    Bethesda, MD 20892-3560
    (301) 654-3327

PL