From San Diego, California, USA:

My 20 month-old daughter has had diabetes for over a year now. I do not have her in any daycare and her contact with other kids is limited to family and friends yet she seems to pick up every virus around. Does diabetes compromise her body's immune system? I know this is the case for bacterial infections but the books say nothing about viral infections. What can I do to minimize her exposure to viruses while still letting her have a good time?

The immune system of a diabetic person is not compromised if his/her metabolic control is fine: the only problem of bacterial/viral infections is the infection-induced stress that can temporarily impair metabolic control thus temporarily raise the insulin requirement. I would let your daughter live and grow up as other children, without further limiting her contacts towards other persons.