From Los Angeles, California, USA:

My 13 year old cat has had diabetes for over a year. He was on total of 4 units a day of Ultralente. He has become unregulated again: now on 9 units a day. Urine dipstick showed that its come down from 2000 mg/dl to 500-1000 mg/dl. Don't go to vet for another week. Would it be okay to increase his insulin another 1/2 unit in the A.M. and P.M.?

I would be the last person to advise treating diabetes in a feline or a human without medical input. With regard to my own kitty with diabetes, it has been quite a challenge to incorporate what I do know with what I don't know! Very humbling considering all my years working with humans with diabetes.

I encourage you to stay in constant contact with your vet, a vet school, and educate yourself as well while treating your kitty. That is what I am doing myself. I, personally, would never increase insulin without an DVM in supervision.

Best of luck and check the Feline Diabetes website for additional data and support.