From Wyandotte, Michigan, USA:

I was wondering if and how Type 1 diabetes affects the reproductive system. I have been diabetic for 18 years, and was married 4 years ago. My husband and I have not used any form of birth control for over three of the four years. We have had no luck with getting pregnant. I was told that I don't ovulate regularly, and was put on Clomid. I was told that if it didn't work, depending on the temperature chart, I'd either have to see a reproductive endocrinologist, or have laparoscopic surgery.

Also, I was wondering, as I'll be 28 this year, if it's still really advised for diabetics to be as young as possible when they become pregnant? Because of what I've heard since I was first diagnosed, I tend to worry that if it doesn't happen by the time I'm 30, I could really be in for even a more difficult pregnancy than if I were able to conceive now.

It is unclear if diabetes directly affects fertility. However, hypothyroidism is often associated with diabetes and that can affect ovulation. So if you have not conceived after several years of unprotected intercourse, then I would suggest you consult an infertility expert.

There is no specific age limit for pregnancy and diabetes. Key factors are how long you have had diabetes and any complications that may have developed as a result of duration and glucose control: eye disease, kidney disease, and/or heart problems. If none of these organs are affected and you have been maintaining good glucose control, then a pregnancy can be reasonably managed.

Posted to Family Planning