Question:

From Boise, Idaho, USA:

I've reviewed previous questions about health insurance for Type 1 diabetics. Our daughter, 18 (very healthy), will be graduating from art school in 2 years and will no longer be insured by our policy. If a future employer says "no" to coverage, she's lost. Solutions are few. I'm mad. How can I get involved in this fight? Which is the toughest, meanest organization I can join to start screaming at the top of my lungs for people with diseases? Thanks.

Answer:

My advice is simple: write your state and national elected representatives and get involved with the government relations groups at the JDF and the ADA. The inability for people with diabetes to obtain health insurance in the United States is, in my opinion, a national embarrassment.

JSH

Additional comments from Dr. Deeb:

It should be pointed out that most large companies, and governmental employers, have insurance plans that will take any employee. Some, however, do have exclusion periods, 6 months to 1 year.

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs