From Newport, Washington, USA:

My 22 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed about two years ago. We want to know, can high sugars interfere with a pregnancy test? She already has two children, one year apart. She suspects that she is pregnant again. I'm very concerned about her health and if the tests are not performing well, it could delay proper treatment. She and her husband were using birth control, and were not looking to become pregnant again this soon. She said that with their first child she did 4 home pregnancy tests and they came out negative. Also the test at the doctor's office came out negative and yet she was obviously pregnant!

Diabetes and high blood glucose values should not affect the results of a pregnancy test. Some of the urine tests having varying sensitivities and thus might not detect a very early conception. A blood test can be confirmatory.

Posted to Family Planning and Hyperglycemia and DKA