Question:

From Des Moines, Iowa, USA:

I have been diabetic since I was 12 (I'm now 31) and had severe problems with retinopathy in both eyes over five years ago. One retina partially detached; surgery reattached it, but I have very little vision in that eye. Vision in my other eye has been 20/20 or 20/25 with glasses for the past five years, and doctors say my eyes are stable. How great a risk would pregnancy pose to my eyesight?

Answer:

From the literature I have reviewed, if you start a pregnancy with bad retinal disease, then you are more likely to have progression of retinopathy (versus having stable eye disease and a lower risk of progression). You should discuss this further with your ophthalmologist.

Posted to Family Planning and Complications