Question:

From Dubai, United Arab Emirates:

I am a 50 year old male, married with two children. I had a mild heart attack several years ago. Please tell me whether I am diabetic or not. My blood sugar during early morning fasting (06:00 hrs) is 150 while in the evening (18:00 hrs) is less than 100. I am not taking any medicine or dieting, eating normal food (I take coffee with sugar).

Answer:

Your morning values, before eating, are too high. Assuming that there are several such values, done with a laboratory testing instrument, you have diabetes. (Home sugar meters are not considered reliable enough to make the diagnosis.)

The fact that your blood sugars later in the day are normal do not counterbalance the high sugar levels at another time of day: it's the highest sugars that we look at, not the average, when making the diagnosis of diabetes.

WWQ