Question:

From New York City, New York, USA:

I've heard reports from several people (one a close friend) who say that using marijuana medically has greatly reduced their need for insulin. Have you any similar reports? Is this another disease that can be helped by medical marijuana?

Answer:

This reminds me of the man who asked the doctor if he stopped drinking would he live longer? The answer was, "no, it'll just feel longer".

[Editor's comment: No one on the Diabetes Team is aware of any benefits to diabetes of using marijuana. I would think that if it did "greatly reduce" the need for insulin, one or more of my patients would have told me by now! WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications