From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am 65, with diabetes. Pretty good health otherwise. Three weeks ago I developed double vision. Either eye by itself is okay. Comments, solutions? Any advice? My blood sugar at that time was 173.

Sounds like an extraocular muscle palsy, which is a relatively common form of mononeuropathy. (Mononeuropathy is, by definition, damage to a single nerve.)

If there's a mononeuropathy affecting a single nerve leading to the muscles of one eye, it causes double vision (diplopia) when looking in certain directions. When this happens, it is important for your physicians to check carefully to be sure the problem is not due to some other cause.

Although diabetic EOM palsies are extremely frustrating, they will resolve gradually over a period of months without any specific treatment.