Question:

From England:

After my friend had a fit or stroke, I was told in the ambulance that his blood sugar level was 3.1. What does this mean? What is it measured in and what is the normal level for a fully grown adult of 18? Would this level had any effect on his stroke?

Answer:

I can't say anything very specific without knowing much more about the "event". The normal level is around 4-6 mmol/L [72-108 mg/dl] so 3.1 [55.8 mg/dl] is a little low but not desperately. I don't think that this alone would cause a fit in an otherwise healthy adult but 3.1 after the event could mean that it had been lower shortly before. If your friend had never had such an episode before then he will need investigations to establish the cause.