Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

My wife is 37, just completed her first trimester of pregnancy. At her doctor visit last month, her blood sugar level was so high (approximately 200) and so early that it was thought she might have "onset diabetes" as opposed to gestational diabetes. She was given a strict diet and a monitor. With careful monitoring and testing of various foods, it seems that her blood sugar level is generally okay (65-140). What seems to trigger the higher levels is not so much her diet as her level of tension. Is this a reasonable possibility? If so, what kind of mechanism is activated by the tension that reduces the insulin level, or renders it ineffective in dealing with the sugars?

Answer:

I agree with your doctor's assessment that you wife probably has pre-existing diabetes. Luckily the diet is working so far. Stress can elevate blood sugar values due to the action of various hormones. If your wife has persistently elevated blood sugar values, then that is more likely due to the pregnancy and diabetic condition than just stress.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Stress