From Illinois, USA:

An endocrinologist believes that our 13-year-old son is developing Type 1 diabetes. We've been seeing symptoms of thirst, excessive urination and fatigue off and on for well over a year. His first high blood sugar wasn't detected until recently. Since then we've been monitoring almost daily and are puzzled by what we see. His numbers go up and down in no consistent pattern. He'll show normal numbers and high numbers for single days, several days in a row or both high and low readings on the same day. Complicating factors are that my son is a non-verbal, low functioning autistic and has hypothyroidism. He is very small in stature, just over 4 feet tall. Have you ever heard of such a case? I thought Type 1 diabetes was supposed to come on suddenly.

Your endocrinologist may be correct and he may have other information to support his assertion, e.g., antibody levels. Certainly your son has one autoimmune disease already (hypothyroidism) so he has a higher risk of a second one such as diabetes. I don't know of any particular association with autism but there are a number of syndromes which combine short stature with a tendency to diabetes.