From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

I have a 17 year old son who has Type 1 diabetes and takes insulin and Glucophage (metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes). The doctor suggested that he takes it cause of his high sugar levels. It's a 500 mg pill. Do you think that is too much for him?

Glucophage (metformin) is advised for use in Type 2 diabetes, and I would not advise using it in teenagers (or anyone else) with Type 1 diabetes, unless the person taking the pill is participating in a research project and has signed an "informed consent" form about why it's being used.

If your son is not under the care of an experienced endocrinologist, I'd suggest you arrange for him to get a second opinion about management of the diabetes.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes