From Charleston, South Carolina, USA:

I am a 16-year-old female and lately I've become very worried about the possibility that I may have diabetes. Is it unusual to be diagnosed at this age? Hypoglycemia definitely runs in my family (my brother and mother both suffer from it), although they have never been to the doctor because they feel they have it under control. Recently I suddenly began being very thirsty and urinating very frequently, and I have been tired and have had digestive problems (constipation alternating with diarrhea). I would get tested, but the main problem is my parents. I have always been known as a hypochondriac, so they will not listen to my complaints and constantly say it is the heat that is causing my problems. I don't think the heat would cause me to have to keep two glasses full of water by my bed at night for when I wake up thirsty (which are both gone in the morning), or to wake up frequently because I need to pee. I never used to do this. Now, I'm sorry this is so long, but do you have any suggestions about how to convince my parents to have me tested, or else how to get tested myself?

The only way to approach this is to be straight with your parents that you are drinking more than usual including at night and passing more urine. This doesn't mean you have diabetes but is a reason to be checked out with a urine test. This is quick and cheap.