Question:

From Australia:

My boyfriend is 20, and has mild diabetes. He doesn't monitor his sugar levels properly, and they can get quite high.

Answer:

I can tell you are really worried about this. I try not to use the words "mild diabetes" because it can make people think that the blood sugar level is not important. It is important!

It sounds as if your friend is pretending that the diabetes is not really there: not checking sugars, etc. Unfortunately, when diabetes is ignored, it usually causes trouble for the person who has it. Please encourage him to reconsider his health in this matter and take a proactive role. That way he can manage the diabetes before it begins to manage him!

CMB

Posted to Behavior