Question:

From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

My dad is 80 years old and was diagnosed as a diabetic while in his 60's. He also has high blood pressure and is on medication for it. I'm not sure what "Type" of diabetic he is, but he is on oral medication, not shots. Can you recommend specific foods to be avoided? He loves sandwiches, but I've warned him that luncheon meats have too much salt. My folks live alone and eat out a lot (senior citizen discounts!), but neither one seem to be concerned with hidden salt in the foods at the restaurants (mostly inexpensive, neighborhood places). Any recommendations?

Answer:

I can see why you are concerned about you father's food habits. I would suggest you ask your parents if they would mind if you talked with his doctor about your concerns and then you could ask the doctor to refer them to a dietitian who could give them some guidelines on what foods to watch out for. It could be at his age he has decided that he will eat what he wants. Approaching him with the idea that he might be setting himself up for a stroke which might result in his total inability to live the way he wants might get his attention. I think getting a dietitian involved who can really work with your parents to help them identify small lifestyle changes for healthier eating would be very helpful. You might want to go along with them or give the dietitian a call before their appointment to let her/him know what your concerns are.

Food is a touchy issue with people of all ages and change is difficult for everyone. At age 80 it is a real challenge.

JM