From Plainfield, New Jersey, USA:

My 5 year old daughter has in the past had bouts of sighing, tachycardia [rapid heart rate], weakness and vomiting, sleepiness and trembling after missing dinner, then sleeping in to have a late breakfast. This has not occurred due to her recently gaining weight--she used to be tiny and thin.

Should I have her tested for hypoglycemia? She seems to recuperate after eating popsicles, orange juice and sleeping. Or is there something else I should test her for? My pediatrician said not to let her skip meals, but that was it!

Young children cannot go as long as adults without eating. They may sometimes develop low blood sugars (with seizures and ketones in the urine), especially if they are also sick. If your child only develops symptoms when she skips dinner and sleeps late, and her growth is otherwise normal, she probably does not need any extensive workup, but as your pediatrician stated, should not skip meals.