From Illinois, USA:

I am a 20 year old male who has had Type 1 diabetes for about 10 years. I try to control my blood sugar but it usually runs an average of 200mg/dl. I also am slightly underweight. I have an internal medicine doctor who I see for the diabetes. However, is there anything I can do to get a specialist and/or a team of diabetic specialists, not only to help with my sugar level but also to help me gain weight?

Yes. If your blood sugars are averaging 200, I'd agree it's time for an evaluation of why, and what might be changed to get your diabetes under better control!

Ask your present physician for a consultation to see a endocrinologist. If he/she's uncomfortable with the idea of obtaining a consultation, the doctor should explain why. You always have the right to get a "second opinion." In some cases, you'd have to pay for the specialist's advice out of your own pocket, so be sure to check with your insurance company about their guidelines for paying for specialty care!

Be sure that your present physician forwards your records to your new specialist, so that the new doctor doesn't feel any need to repeat any testing that you might have had done recently.