From Perth, Western Australia, Australia:

I am 44 and have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. However, I can't seem to get a clear answer as to what normal blood sugar levels should be. I would appreciate advice as to what levels should be before meals, after meals, etc.

The concept of "normal" blood sugars really applies to people without diabetes. Based on the recent Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines, a fasting plasma glucose (blood sugar before breakfast) of less than 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/L) and a two hour value after testing with glucose during an glucose tolerance test that's less than 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) is normal.

For someone with diabetes, I personally prefer to think in terms of "target" blood sugars. The targets for your diabetes control will depend on many factors (for instance, during pregnancy, the targets are for extremely tight control, to protect the developing baby). Sometimes the targets will be for "completely normal blood sugars" (which would mean putting the diabetes into remission), but usually that just isn't possible, and targets that include occasional higher blood sugars are more realistic. Discuss with your doctor what your targets should be for your circumstances.