Question:

From Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 20 month old daughter, diagnosed at 14 months, is using Humalog and NPH mixed in one shot, two times a day. We have been told to dilute the Humalog with the diluent for Humulin N (brand of NPH). We were told that is what Lilly is now recommending, but I haven't been able to find anything on it. Do you know if this is the currently correct diluent? And is there any new information on using Humalog on children 2 years old?

Answer:

Eli Lilly has done preliminary studies on diluting Humalog. They have not come out with an official recommendation regarding dilution. At the present time, the NPH diluent is the most promising. At the American Diabetes Association Meetings in June, many Pediatric Endocrinologists said they were using the NPH diluent with success.

Posted to Insulin Analogs