Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Aug 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son has been at a juvenile state correction center for 6 months. I told his numbers still get as high as 550 at least once a week. Does this sound like "acceptable care?" (31 Aug 1998)

2. I am a mother of a 3 1/2 year old boy who was diagnosed with hyperinsulinism at birth. Is it possible that the hyperinsulinism could cause him to be developmentally delayed? (31 Aug 1998)

3. I have a 16 month old baby girl that is excessively thirsty. I tested her blood sugar level and it was 99. This is normal for an adult; are the levels the same for an infant? (31 Aug 1998)

4. Do you believe that all Type 1 diabetics should be treated with prophylactic doses of ace inhibitors even before any evidence of protein in the urine is found? (31 Aug 1998)

5. I recently bought a bottle of Lipton Iced Tea - unsweetened. There are no sugars listed as ingredients. My question is regarding one ingredient: maltodextrin. Is maltodextrin a sugar? (31 Aug 1998)

6. I am interested in information on the herb gymnema sylvestris as regards its use for diabetics. It is supposed to be a sugar blocker used in India. Any possibility it will help? (31 Aug 1998)

7. My daughter is 12 years. I am interested in carbohydrate counting, since it offers more creative ideas in menu planning. How do I get started? (31 Aug 1998)

8. Is Biaxin safe to take if you're a child with diabetes? (31 Aug 1998)

9. My 15 year old daughter (living with diabetes type 1 for 5 years) asked what does drinking do to people who have diabetes. I gave her my "parent" answer but would like a answer from a diabetes expert. (31 Aug 1998)

10. Could you please comment on the new "Vaculance" lancing device by Bayer? The advertisement says the method is painless and I'd like to hear your opinion about the product. (30 Aug 1998)

11. I am 21 years old and have type 1 diabetes. I am having trouble with frequent highs and lows. I have asked my doctor for help, but he has made it clear that he does not have time to answer my questions. How can I have better control of my sugars? (30 Aug 1998)

12. I recently read that retinopathy generally appears in Type 1 diabetics before age 30. I am 28, have been diabetic for 25 years. My ophthalmologist says that I have minimal, if any, signs of retinopathy. (30 Aug 1998)

13. My son is 9 years old, diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 years ago. In case a hypoglycemic episode occurs just before one of his main meals (and insulin shots), when should the insulin be administered? Before or after eating? (30 Aug 1998)

14. I have heard that in the US there are patches available (like nicotine patches) which diabetic patients can use as substitute for injections. Is this true? (30 Aug 1998)

15. My 4 1/2 year old daughter will be starting preschool in 1 week. The preschool teachers tell us they can't do blood test or administer glucagon because they're not licensed (or something like that). (30 Aug 1998)

16. I'm a Catholic, married, type 1 female. I've been sexually active for the last two-and-a-half years and have not become pregnant. Should I just assume I'm infertile? Or should I always aim for "very tight control" of my blood sugars just in case I become pregnant? (30 Aug 1998)

17. Whose side are you on? Obviously not the children's. Aspartame has not only caused seizures, major depression, memory loss, and even death. I am SO SORRY that you are turning your back on something so harmless and actually beneficial as Stevia. (30 Aug 1998)

18. How can I find out how many children with diabetes live in a particular area (i.e., city, county, state, etc.)? (29 Aug 1998)

19. Could you please tell me where I can find specific American Diabetes Association diet recommendations for my 9 year old son, who has had diabetes since 15 months? (29 Aug 1998)

20. I am trying to find information on pseudohypoglycemia. (29 Aug 1998)

21. Can insulin go bad, even before the expiry date on the vials? (29 Aug 1998)

22. My 4 year old nephew was diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 1. He will be starting private school for the first time in September. The school does not have a nurse on staff. What are his rights regarding his in-school care? (29 Aug 1998)

23. Does Father pass diabetes to daughters and Mother pass diabetes to sons, or is this an old wives' tale? (29 Aug 1998)

24. In the case of a diabetic who is "brittle," do you think an insulin pump is appropriate? (29 Aug 1998)

25. Our son, who is 6 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 11 months ago, has recently been experiencing persistent low blood sugar. Can a honeymoon happen after 11 months? (26 Aug 1998)

26. My 67 year old mother has had type 2 for many years. Is it true that the sulfonylurea pills stop working and you then must start injections? (26 Aug 1998)

27. My daughter is 15 years old. She was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 7. We keep raising her insulin. She takes 62 units in the morning and 60 units before supper. Is this too much insulin? (26 Aug 1998)

28. My son is age 5, diagnosed at 12 months. We are flying to the west coast in the summer. (26 Aug 1998)

29. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed at 8 months old. She has just been diagnosed with mononucleosis. It has been difficult to work around the changes in her activity levels. Can we expect any long term effects that would be specific to her being diabetic? (26 Aug 1998)

30. I am a type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed a little over a year ago. This year I resolved to gain some muscle mass and am working out. When I started I was 158 with 16% body fat, now 5 months later I am 161 with 31% body fat. What am I doing wrong? (26 Aug 1998)

31. My daughter has A1c readings of 118 to 122. Different doctors have different opinions and rate these readings from excellent to poor. What can one expect from a child of this age? (26 Aug 1998)

32. I am a 28 year old who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago. I have read about the honeymoon phase and am wondering when it occurs. Is it possible that I "missed" the honeymoon? (25 Aug 1998)

33. My 10 year old son has had diabetes since the age of 15 months. My 8 year old daughter just tested positive to the Islet Cell Antibodies. What course of treatment would you pursue if my daughter was your child? (25 Aug 1998)

34. I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic and I'm not sure what kind of a monitor to get. (25 Aug 1998)

35. I was reading over your responses, and there was a question about timing of blood sugar readings. You do not recommend checking blood sugars for type 1 diabetics after meals. But what about type 2? (25 Aug 1998)

36. I am nearly 70 and have been diagnosed as having Type 2. Occasionally, I am bothered by what I believe is referred to as "dawn phenomenon" when I wake up about 3 A.M. to 4 A.M. with a night sweat. (25 Aug 1998)

37. I have seen a lot of questions on your site referring to BCG vaccinations being researched to see if it helps prevent diabetes. (25 Aug 1998)

38. I found out only a week ago that I am diabetic, and my doctor gave me some diabetes pills to try out for a week, and it has had the strangest side affect in that it seems to have cured my nearsightedness. (25 Aug 1998)

39. I'm interested in modifying my current regimen to incorporate an insulin pump. Do you have any suggestions for individuals who have a history of fat build-up at current injection sites? (25 Aug 1998)

40. I am searching for information on diabetes and kidney problems. My husband has had diabetes for over 31 years. His biggest fear of the disease is kidney failure. I would like to find out what the early signs of kidney problems may be. (25 Aug 1998)

41. My 7-year-old daughter was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Her endocrinologist says that she's a Type 1-1/2. The endocrinologist said she could envision trying to use diabetes pills instead of insulin. What complications/problems could we expect? (24 Aug 1998)

42. I am 34 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. In the past six months, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress. This has caused my control to be even more difficult. My physician is considering changing me to either 70/30 or an insulin pump to try and get better control. (24 Aug 1998)

43. I am 43, and have had diabetes for 29 years. I would love to attend a "camp" for adults with diabetes. Is there such a place? (24 Aug 1998)

44. My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 at age 1; she's now 4 years old. She has had a few seizures, most recently in the early morning hours this past week. I'm wondering if MSG could have contributed to this seizure. (24 Aug 1998)

45. I am a 36 year old adult. I have been diagnosed with diabetes for about 2 years. I want to know if I can take Gingko for circulation in my legs and throughout my body, to help support my circulatory system. (24 Aug 1998)

46. My daughter, age 3.5, has had 2 night terrors since being diagnosed a few months ago. I'm wondering if it is at all related. She has never had problems with sleep until diabetes entered her little life. (24 Aug 1998)

47. Are there any ways to remove a goiter besides surgery for a diabetic with complications? (24 Aug 1998)

48. I have a 1 year old daughter who was just recently diagnosed. What would be good foods for a 1 year old who is still eating jarred baby food and some table foods? (24 Aug 1998)

49. My daughter was diagnosed two years ago at the age of 13 with type 1. My father and my grandmother both have type 2, my niece also has type 1 with no history of type 1 in the family. How did these girls end up with type 1? (24 Aug 1998)

50. My 15 year old has had diabetes for 3.5 years. Last week we had our first severe reaction. We took him (unconscious) to the hospital where they gave him glucose intravenously. Which is better, the hospital or home for the glucagon? (24 Aug 1998)

51. Developments such as pulmonary insulin delivery are very exciting. How can we get more information on when/where clinical testing is being done? (23 Aug 1998)

52. My 15-year-old daughter has diabetes very badly. I just found out today she is 9 weeks pregnant and wants to keep the baby. I am scared. What do I do? (23 Aug 1998)

53. I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What is an acceptable blood glucose level for me to maintain? I am not taking insulin. (23 Aug 1998)

54. I am a 22 year old female. I was once told that if I take the birth control pill that it should be the "mini pill" (progesterone, but not estrogen) because estrogen can increase my blood sugar levels. Is this true? (23 Aug 1998)

55. I am 29 and in my 28th week of pregnancy. How much does stress contribute to high blood sugar level readings? The last month has been extremely stressful for me and I have not been sleeping well. (23 Aug 1998)

56. I have an 11 year old daughter diagnosed with diabetes several months ago. How important is it to keep to regular meal times? Now that summer vacation is here, she likes to sleep in. (23 Aug 1998)

57. I need a nutrition guide for an open-heart patient (age 69) living with non-insulin diabetes. She is my mom. (23 Aug 1998)

58. I have a six-year old son just diagnosed who receives two daily injections of R and N mixed together. I have received conflicting advice on how to draw up the insulin. Can you offer some insight on this matter? (23 Aug 1998)

59. I have a twelve year old daughter diagnosed with Type 1 this week. I am getting different opinions regarding meal planning. One physician says that carbohydrates are okay and another says no sugars allowed. (23 Aug 1998)

60. I have a four year old that was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January of this year. I'm wondering if the hot summer weather has an effect on his blood glucose numbers. It seems like he is having more lows in the summer weather. (23 Aug 1998)

61. My son is 7 years old. He has been diagnosed since 3 1/2 years of age. His blood sugar is always fluctuating and his HA1c is always deteriorating. I am inquiring if I can come to the United States to put him on the insulin pump. (18 Aug 1998)

62. Is there a difference between NPH and Lente insulin? I heard that Lente lasts just a little bit longer than NPH. (18 Aug 1998)

63. Who would be the best recommended doctor to talk to in Israel about a child with diabetes? (18 Aug 1998)

64. My 13 year old son is very active in sports. During the past several months he tends to run very high after intense games. Can you give me a reason why this is happening? (18 Aug 1998)

65. I am 12 years old and have been a diabetic for 7 years. I'm very interested in the science fiction field. Is cloning a pancreas a possibility for the future? (18 Aug 1998)

66. Can a 17 year old Type 1 diabetic take a water pill? (17 Aug 1998)

67. My mother, age 70, recently had a fasting glucose blood test and her result was 158. Her doctor said there is no problem and no further tests necessary. Should she be tested again to rule out diabetes? (17 Aug 1998)

68. My son was recently diagnosed with type 1. His doctor said he is very sensitive to insulin. What does this mean? He is an aboriginal child. This chronic illness has reached epidemic proportions within our communities. (17 Aug 1998)

69. I need a good list of foods and the amount of carbohydrates in each food. Plain language, not technical terms. (17 Aug 1998)

70. I just read a response to a question about "Stiff Hand Syndrome," in which the condition was possibly linked with Diabetes because of their common anti-GAD antibodies. (17 Aug 1998)

71. We are in our first week of adjusting to my 7 year old's new diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. We are concerned about my 8 year old son and want to test him. My wife believes I am being too hard on him trying to get him to test this soon. (17 Aug 1998)

72. What are the complications of smoking with diabetes (17 Aug 1998)

73. Why will a Seagrams 7 and Diet Coke bring down my blood sugar, even after a full meal? This happens in the wee hours of the morning, after my insulin shots have worn off. (17 Aug 1998)

74. I am 45 years old. I have Type 1 diabetes. I currently take 22 units of NPH in the A.M. and 18 units of NPH in the P.M. I experience severe reactions while sleeping, I am unable to wake up and my husband spends hours giving me juice, etc. to bring me around. (15 Aug 1998)

75. Can a person, 37 year old female, Type 2 diabetes, oral medication, become certified to SCUBA dive? (15 Aug 1998)

76. What is the proper diet for person with gestational diabetes? Should I stop taking my pre-natal vitamin? (15 Aug 1998)

77. I am so confused by all of this lispro insulin in pregnancy information. If lispro isn't necessarily safe, how long should I be off it before trying to conceive? (15 Aug 1998)

78. I am 30 years old and experiencing my first pregnancy. I was tested for gestational diabetes at 35 weeks rather than 24-28 weeks. I have a family history of diabetes providing for a higher risk and am shocked I was tested so late. (15 Aug 1998)

79. My wife is 32. She is 3 months pregnant and we just found out she has gestational diabetes. What should we expect? We need some diet information. (15 Aug 1998)

80. I have had diabetes since I was 11. I have one child and my husband and I are considering another. We have some concerns because with my first pregnancy I developed preeclampsia. (15 Aug 1998)

81. My 11 year old son, who was diagnosed with Type 1 several months ago, would like to go on the pump. I would like to know how much more effective the pump is in avoiding future complications, if at all, than just having good control without the pump. (15 Aug 1998)

82. My 13 old sister has had diabetes since she was 8. In the last couple of years her conditions have worsened considerably. Could you please provide our family with a list of boarding schools for children with diabetes? (15 Aug 1998)

83. I will be traveling to Paris to teach at the American University of Paris for one year. I normally have my wife with me, and she is my night time protector against insulin reactions during sleep. Are there any new devices which warn wearers of pending low blood sugar levels? (15 Aug 1998)

84. Where is there a diabetes site that has real life stories on pros and cons of Insulin Pumping? Especially for kids? (13 Aug 1998)

85. My 13 year old daughter is experiencing an increase in blood sugar level during the night. Going to bed with a level of 127 and rising at 214, with no food was eaten between. Other times it decreases. What could cause the increase? (13 Aug 1998)

86. I'm a 15 year old girl and I've just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I don't feel as if anyone understands me and I get in fights with my family. I'm already tired of it, and I don't know how to do this my whole life. (13 Aug 1998)

87. I urgently need to find a source of diabetes information written in another language. The patient is a recent immigrant to the United States, 38, just diagnosed, and can not fully comprehend English material or instructions. (13 Aug 1998)

88. My 9-year-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 15 months. Is it okay to reward him with a small chocolate cup after eating his recommended calorie intake? (13 Aug 1998)

89. There is a herbal product called CMO that is supposed to help control sugar levels and claims to even get a person off insulin. I wonder if you have heard anything about this product. (13 Aug 1998)

90. I am 34 years old and have gestational diabetes that is being controlled by diet only. My blood sugar levels 2 hours after eating are generally in the 75 range. Is this too low? (13 Aug 1998)

91. My 38-year old daughter is 9 months postpartum. She's had diabetes for 31 years. She takes about 1/6 the amount of insulin she took before becoming pregnant. Her internist and endocrinologist have no explanation. (13 Aug 1998)

92. I have heard that Cairo University in Egypt claims a cure for diabetes using coriander oil. Also that acupuncture has trigger points for the treatment of diabetes. I would like to find out more regarding this matter. (13 Aug 1998)

93. My 13 year old son was diagnosed a little over a year ago. He now seems to have developed high blood pressure. Are diabetics at risk for developing high blood pressure? (13 Aug 1998)

94. I have been just diagnosed with diabetes. I have read here about type 1, 2, MODY. I didn't know there were different types of diabetes; I would like more information. (11 Aug 1998)

95. I'm not a child but have a child's outlook when it comes to needles. Who has the smallest lancet? (11 Aug 1998)

96. I am a 17 year old student, who is having some trouble getting my HMO, Health Options of Florida, to cover a Glucagon Kit. Can you give me some advice on how to get my HMO to cover Glucagon? (11 Aug 1998)

97. We have a son with Type 1 diabetes. I have a brother with Type 1 and a first cousin with Type 1. Should my son's first cousins be concerned that the possibility of diabetes may occur again? (11 Aug 1998)

98. My six year old daughter likes to do her own injections. Her team says she's too young and I should not allow her to. What age is the right age to allow children to start? (9 Aug 1998)

99. How does someone who works a swing shift adjust his diet and insulin to stay in good control? (9 Aug 1998)

100. I was diagnosed with Type 1 nearly 40 years ago and have minimal complications thus far. Will menopause increase the likelihood of complications? Is estrogen replacement important to preventing complications? (9 Aug 1998)

101. My brother has diabetes. He also has schizophrenia. I don't no what to do. His triglycerides are over 500 and his sugar levels are dangerously very high. (9 Aug 1998)

102. What types of food should I avoid? I'm not insulin dependent but I take a diabetes pill. I usually eat anything I want but in moderation. Will this prove to be harmful or should I have a strict diet? (9 Aug 1998)

103. Is there a test to determine for sure whether I am really a Type 2 diabetic? (9 Aug 1998)

104. Why is diabetes referred to as an autoimmune disease? (9 Aug 1998)

105. When my child with diabetes gets sick who should I call: his endocrinologist or regular doctor? (9 Aug 1998)

106. What is the utility of fructosamine testing? I have heard it is being used but cannot get information on by whom or for what. Is it diagnostic or used for monitoring diabetic control? How does it rate against HbA1c testing? (7 Aug 1998)

107. Is there a general guideline for planning meals for diabetic children? I am a school food service director. (7 Aug 1998)

108. How long can you use a bottle of insulin, if it is kept refrigerated? (7 Aug 1998)

109. My niece is rebelling against everything, including taking insulin. School, home, any type of discipline is a big problem. She is seeing a therapist. Is there any additional help we can give her? (7 Aug 1998)

110. What could be done to a eleven day old baby girl weighing 4.4 kg at birth if she has hyperinsulinism and hypoglycemia? (7 Aug 1998)

111. I have a daughter, 1 year and five months old. I have smelled acetone from her mouth since she was 6 months. She is very active and seems normal. Does she have diabetes? (7 Aug 1998)

112. We have joined the two major organizations dealing with diabetes. My problem is with the advertisers in their monthly publications, in particular those advertising "sugar-free" products. (7 Aug 1998)

113. Why shouldn't we exercise when the blood sugar level is over 250mg/dl? Why does the blood sugar rise? (7 Aug 1998)

114. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes two months ago. I am going to be 76 years old next month. I got a glucose monitor about a week or two ago. Is 80 too low for me? (7 Aug 1998)

115. I have a five year old diabetic child at my camp. Yesterday she started vomiting severely and her mother had to come get her and take her home. (7 Aug 1998)

116. If a diabetic girl has a child at say age 17 or so, is the baby going to have a good chance to have diabetes? Is it safe to have children when you have diabetes? (5 Aug 1998)

117. Could you please tell me if the B.D. Pen Mini is smaller than the regular B.D. pen? (5 Aug 1998)

118. I know that exercise reduces his blood glucose level but I am wondering now that it is summer, does exercising in the heat lower the blood glucose even more than in the moderate weather? (5 Aug 1998)

119. Is dry skin in anyway connected to diabetes? (5 Aug 1998)

120. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago. Two weeks ago she had a seizure in the night. I am unsure what to do to get her morning numbers lower without her having lows in the night. (5 Aug 1998)

121. My 6 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. On several occasions I have taken my daughter's blood sugar and it has been in the mid-forties! (5 Aug 1998)

122. In the mornings, fasting, however, my blood sugar levels are around 140-170 as soon as I get up. I have checked the level at 3 or 4 in the morning and they are around 80-90. When and why does the 'injection' of sugar occurs in the body? (5 Aug 1998)

123. My wife got Type 1 diabetes when she was pregnant with our first baby. Why did she get diabetes if she doesn't have any diabetes familiar inheritance? (5 Aug 1998)

124. My adult alcoholic son has just been diagnosed and is terrified of injecting himself with insulin, fearful that with his addictive personality it might lead to a drug addiction. (5 Aug 1998)

125. My son was diagnosed last year with Type 1 at age 4. He is doing fine and his glucose levels are good. How essential are the snacks he must have between meals? He really is not hungry for them and I feel like I'm forcing him to eat them. (5 Aug 1998)

126. I am seeing vitamin supplements made specifically for diabetics. What do you think of them? Are they legit or just a marketing gimmick? (2 Aug 1998)

127. I was diagnosed when I was 5, and have been on U-100 Regular and NPH Beef/Pork. Should I be on some type of human insulin, or is the beef/pork okay? (2 Aug 1998)

128. I would like to know where I can get the cheapest strips for my meter. (2 Aug 1998)

129. I am 30 and I have had Type 1 for 10 years. I use the B-D Pen and I was on NPH but now I'am on Ultralente. Will Ultralente ever be available in a pen cartridge? (2 Aug 1998)

130. I checked my son's blood sugar and it was 105 approximately 30 minutes after we ate dinner. Is this reading high for a 6 year old, or should I recheck him in the mornings before he eats anything? Type 2 diabetes runs heavily in both sides of the family. (2 Aug 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts