Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I have a 6 year old son who drinks 24 hours a day practically and is hungry just about as often. He voids a lot during the day and sometimes is up at night as well. I am an RN working for Home Care and have access to blood glucose monitors, and one evening I checked my son's blood sugar and it was 105 approximately 30 minutes to no more than 1 hour after we ate dinner. Is this reading high for a 6 year old, or should I recheck him in the mornings before he eats anything? Type 2 diabetes runs heavily in both sides of the family.

Answer:

The single reading of 105 is okay. Please be aware that home meters are not considered reliable enough to accurately diagnosis diabetes. You'd need a lab blood sugar to be sure.

Maybe if you use urine sugar test strips for a screen, you could arrange to recheck him more often (and less invasively). If the urine test is positive for sugar, then have your son's doctor check a blood sugar level.

If the family history is of Type 2 diabetes, there's not too much worry of your son having shown up with the family's disorder. Type 2 diabetes usually develops in middle-age or elderly people.

WWQ