Question:

From Wilkesboro, North Carolina, USA:

I am 30 and I have had Type 1 for 10 years. I use the B-D Pen and I was on NPH but now I'am on Ultralente. Will Ultralente ever be available in a pen cartridge?

Answer:

As you have noted, Lente and Ultralente insulins are not available in cartridge form. The representative at Eli Lilly and Company was not aware of these insulins being available in the near future for pen use. The problem apparently has to do with the size of the crystals and the difficulty in re-suspending the Lente or Ultralente in the small-sized cartridge.

LM