From Aurora, Illinois, USA:

I am a 20 year old diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 5, and have been on U-100 Regular and NPH Beef/Pork. Should I be on some type of human insulin, or is the beef/pork okay?

It is usual to be on all human or all pork insulins but there is no particular reason for this. I would not recommend beef insulin because this is more likely to produce insulin antibodies. Don't change your insulin without discussing the matter with your diabetes team.

Additional Comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

Please speak to your diabetes care provider, as Lilly beef/pork inulin will not be available in the United States soon. You will therefore need to change your insulin, under the care of a knowledgeable professional.

Additional comment added 24 August 1998