Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My son was diagnosed last year with Type 1 at age 4. He is doing fine and his glucose levels are good. How essential are the snacks he must have between meals? He really is not hungry for them and I feel like I'm forcing him to eat them.

Answer:

You might want to try stopping the snacks and monitor his blood glucose an hour or two afterwards for several days to see that he is okay. I assume he is of proportional height and weight for his age. If he is quite underweight, the snacks might be indicated for him to gain weight. If his blood glucoses go too low, you will need to decrease any insulin that would be peaking at that time, but you must check with your diabetes team first.

Please do not eliminate the bedtime snack: that is a key one to prevent low blood glucoses during the night. Maybe if he helps prepare the snack (can be a big mess, but that is okay!) or chooses his snack from several choices and has someone to eat it with (you might have a small snack or diet soda with him), that might help.

Food is a social issue and I have found that if special meals or snacks are provided for one person, they often will not eat them. Above all, please do not force him to eat a snack since that makes the food a power issue.

LSF