Can you give me any direction regarding information/support for alcoholics who are diabetic-Type 1? My adult alcoholic son has just been diagnosed and is terrified of injecting himself with insulin, fearful that with his addictive personality it might lead to a drug addiction.

Is this young man a recovering alcoholic or did he have an injectable drug of choice? Since one does not inject alcohol, I am a little confused about the fear of needles leading to relapse. However, I agree that if someone else can do the injection, that is suitable.

Perhaps I am assuming too much. Is he still drinking? If so then he risks hypoglycemia while intoxicated along with the other difficulties associated with addiction to alcohol. Alcohol can mask the symptoms of low blood sugar. Has he ever been in treatment? Is he willing to stop drinking?

Alcohol also contains calories which must be counted in a diabetes meal plan. I strongly suggest a nutrition consult as well.

[Editor's comment: Many kids, teens, and young adults who are having difficulty with insulin injections find that using the Inject-Ease makes giving shots a lot easier. WWQ]