From San Diego, California, USA:

My 6 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. On several occasions I have taken my daughter's blood sugar and it has been in the mid-forties! She did end up hospitalized about two months ago for a hypoglycemic episode that had no warning signs before going into seizures. Her endocrinologist has had us keep her blood sugar higher as a result of this, but she still gets a low in every once in awhile without any symptoms. This is rather frightening and I worry that I may become too smothering in my worry about this. I have read several questions about Hypoglycemic Unawareness, but this seems to be aimed at people who have had diabetes for a long time and have an "immunity" to feeling their symptoms. Could this be what my daughter has even though she has only been diagnosed a few months ago?

It sounds like you are doing a good job staying on top of things. Unfortunately, no matter how often a person tests their blood sugars, hypoglycemia is going to occasionally occur in children with diabetes. Also, some people's bodies clue them in with symptoms of hypoglycemia and some do not. It sounds like your diabetes team is doing the appropriate thing by setting your daughter's target range for sugars a little higher and encouraging more testing. Keep up the good work.