From Cairo, Egypt:

I have a daughter, 1 year and five months old. I have smelled acetone from her mouth since she was 6 months. She is very active and seems normal. Does she have diabetes?

Acetone can be detected as a fruity odor of the breath. Once there is acetone in the blood, the blood sugar is already very high, and diabetic ketoacidosis would develop in hours if no treatment is given. If your child has had an acetone like smell on her breath for a year now, it is unlikely she has had diabetes for a year. I would suggest you speak to your pediatrician and ask for the urine to be tested for ketones when the odor is present.