From Vermont, USA:

Is there a test to determine for sure whether I am really a Type 2 diabetic? I have had diabetes since my late teens which now makes it about 27 years. I think my old doctor did a test years ago but I never found out the results.

To answer your question a little more specifically, it would be important to know at what point, if ever, you became insulin dependent. If you required insulin from the beginning and have done so ever since you probably had autoimmune Type 1 Diabetes. The only way to get a hint of this would be to see if your genetic HLA antigen pattern is a high risk one (HLA proteins coat the surface of cells). The other indicators would by now have disappeared. 27 years ago you might have still been designated Type 2 solely on account of the age of onset.

If you did not require insulin initially and were managed then and perhaps still on hypoglycemic drugs orally then you have Type 2 Diabetes. Nowadays the geneticists are further subdividing type II; but specific identifications are expensive and hard to organise, besides which and most importantly they do not affect treatment or the outlook for complications. The latter factor being dominated by the overall effectiveness of blood glucose control.