From Springfield, Illinois, USA:

What types of food should I avoid? I'm not insulin dependent but I take a diabetes pill. I usually eat anything I want but in moderation. Will this prove to be harmful or should I have a strict diet?

The decision should revolve around what your blood sugars are. Eating foods in moderation should be fine as long as you are getting the appropriate results: that you are at a reasonable weight, do not have high blood pressure, that your blood sugars are okay, and that you have a normal lipid profile. If any of these items are out of line, it would probably be best to find a dietitian who could help you focus on any problem areas that diet will improve.