From America On-Line:

My brother has diabetes (I just found out recently). He also has schizophrenia (mentally ill). I don't no what to do. His triglycerides are over 500 and his sugar levels are dangerously very high. He is getting a pill from a doctor to bring it down, however being mentally ill that he is, he goes and buys whatever he wants to eat (MacDonald's, cakes, 3-4 sugars in his coffee). I'm afraid he is going to die. Can you please help me, he is my only brother.

This is a very complex situation indeed! You do not mention what medication your brother is currently taking to manage his mental illness. Is his psychiatrist aware of the additional diagnosis of diabetes? It is quite a burden for your brother to have to contend with two illnesses that are chronic and as yet have no cure available.

My suggestion is this: is it possible for your brother's medical doctor and his psychiatric team to talk together and develop a joint treatment plan? They need to be in communication! Your brother's therapist can work on the diabetes management issues along with the sessions for mental health. This would be the best arrangement.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

The obvious problem for you as the brother, is to try to get your brother and his two sets of doctors onto the same wavelength. I think your best bet would be to talk to the diabetes nurse educator that's working with his case, and discuss your concerns, and our advice, with that nurse.

If your brother is not being cared for by a diabetes team that includes a diabetes nurse educator and a dietitian, you and your brother should ask the doctor who's treating his diabetes for a consultation to a team of diabetes specialists.

The triglycerides should improve whenever the diabetes control improves, and I would not be concerned about them at this moment.