From Maine, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 nearly 40 years ago and have minimal complications thus far. Will menopause increase the likelihood of complications? Is estrogen replacement important to preventing complications? I am 51 and beginning to have irregular menses.

Many of the complications of diabetes are related to blood sugar control, and I don't think that menopause will automatically cause your control to change, if you are watching your blood sugar, and adjust the insulin as needed.

Estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is probably a wise decision for perimenopausal and postmenopausal women with diabetes, unless there's a specific reason (such as a strong family history of breast cancer) to avoid it. Estrogen not only protects the bones (in combination with vitamin D and calcium), but seems to decrease the risk of heart attack in women with diabetes. Talk to your doctor about if and when to start using ERT.