Question:

From Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA:

My six year old daughter likes to do her own injections. Her team says she's too young and I should not allow her to. What age is the right age to allow children to start? I thought if she wanted to, she should.

Answer:

I don't know your child and tend to respect the judgement of people who are there so please take this message with that bias.

I encourage appropriate independence. I don't believe that children should be left to manage their own diabetes. That doesn't mean that parents do it all. The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Tim Wysocki is a good read.

That said, I would generally allow the child who wanted to give shots to do so. You should probably still be drawing up the dose since one unit might make a big difference. You should supervise the shots to be sure they are actually given and done correctly.