Question:

From Florida, USA:

I am a 17 year old student, who is having some trouble getting my HMO, Health Options of Florida, to cover a Glucagon Kit. They say that it isn't a necessary diabetes supply and that if you take care of your blood sugar levels, you will not need it. They also looked through my medical records and I seen that I have been fortunate enough to have never needed to use one since I developed diabetes 6 years ago, so they say that it is not needed.

I am not concerned about the cost of the kit, but I feel that since Glucagon is a prescription item, it should be covered by my HMO. Can you give me some advice on how to get my HMO to cover the Glucagon?

Answer:

Please tell them you will be forced to write and complain to the appropriate individuals at the State. Florida law requires all HMO's to cover diabetes supplies. You have a prescription and that's all there is to it.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

I advise that any of my patients on insulin should have a Glucagon Emergency Kit, just in case. I hope your physician has written a strongly-worded letter to the HMO saying the same thing.

It is sad to see such a huge effort by a managed care company to avoid paying a few dollars for absolutely appropriate care. One would hope that any insurance company would realize that paying a few dollars for a Glucagon Emergency Kit is a lot cheaper than a Emergency Room visit.

WWQ

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs