From Florida, USA:

I am a 17 year old student, who is having some trouble getting my HMO, Health Options of Florida, to cover a Glucagon Kit. They say that it isn't a necessary diabetes supply and that if you take care of your blood sugar levels, you will not need it. They also looked through my medical records and I seen that I have been fortunate enough to have never needed to use one since I developed diabetes 6 years ago, so they say that it is not needed.

I am not concerned about the cost of the kit, but I feel that since Glucagon is a prescription item, it should be covered by my HMO. Can you give me some advice on how to get my HMO to cover the Glucagon?

Please tell them you will be forced to write and complain to the appropriate individuals at the State. Florida law requires all HMO's to cover diabetes supplies. You have a prescription and that's all there is to it.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

I advise that any of my patients on insulin should have a Glucagon Emergency Kit, just in case. I hope your physician has written a strongly-worded letter to the HMO saying the same thing.

It is sad to see such a huge effort by a managed care company to avoid paying a few dollars for absolutely appropriate care. One would hope that any insurance company would realize that paying a few dollars for a Glucagon Emergency Kit is a lot cheaper than a Emergency Room visit.

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs