Question:

From California, USA:

I'm not a child but have a child's outlook when it comes to needles. I use a Soft Touch lancet. How does it compare in size to the Ultrafine lancet? Also Bayer has a Microlet lancet. Please, who has the smallest lancet?

Answer:

If you have access to a diabetes educator, contact her or him for individual advice. There are many lancet devices and lancets on the market. It would be an individual decision about which you would prefer. Unfortunately, not all lancets fit into all lancet devices anymore. As far as I know, the B-D Ultra-Fine II are the narrowest lancets at 30 gauge. There are some lancet devices which allow you to dial the depth of the fingerpoke, although you can adjust your technique with all the lancets to find the way which is most comfortable for you.

LM

[Editor's comment: There are many factors that affect the relative comfort of lancets. For people who are very sensitive, the Softclix lancing system is worth a look. It's lancets are about twice the cost of other lancets, however. JSH]