Question:

From Erie, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 13 year old son was diagnosed a little over a year ago. He now seems to have developed high blood pressure. Are diabetics at risk for developing high blood pressure? I also have an 11 year old son with diabetes, and am worried about his getting it also!

Answer:

Generally, it's the older type 2 diabetic patients which are prone to develop high blood pressure as well as cardiovascular diseases (macroangiopathy).

The younger type 1 diabetic patients can rarely get high blood pressure, mostly secondary to diabetic chronic kidney disease. That's very unlikely in a 13 year old boy diagnosed only 1 year ago. There are some other rarer possibilities to be explored with the help of a pediatric endocrinologist.