Question:

From Englewood, New Jersey, USA:

My 38-year old daughter is 9 months postpartum. She's had diabetes for 31 years and has had excellent control for many years. She weighs 145 pounds at the present and takes 4 units NPH and 2 lispro in the A.M. That's about 1/6 the amount she took before becoming pregnant. Her internist and endocrinologist have no explanation. We have heard of the honeymoon period but after 9 months? Where can we find some info relating to this?

Answer:

Insulin requirements drop dramatically shortly after delivery. In my experience this is brief (a few days). So I too have no explanation for why this is lasting so long for your daughter.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

I, too, have no explanation for the dramatic drop in insulin requirement, but really don't have any worry about it, either. As long as she's checking her blood sugars, and getting reasonable values on her glycohemoglobin test, the amount of insulin necessary to control diabetes is irrelevant.

WWQ

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin