Question:

From Sweden:

I'm a 15 year old girl and I've just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I don't feel as if anyone understands me and I get in fights with my family. I'm already tired of it, and I don't know how to do this my whole life.

Answer:

Being 15 is really hard. You are not a child, but not really an adult yet. It is very normal to have spats with your family at your age and to feel as if no one understands. Now you have diabetes and I am certain that it does not seem fair to you. It isn't fair, but it is true.

So I wonder if you are willing to take it just one day at a time? Thinking about your "whole life" is too overwhelming! Each day that you manage your blood sugars well is a day of research to find a cure. While you are doing your best, researchers are also doing their best to cure this disease. Day by day, the days mount up, and one day, a day like any other, a cure may be found.

Your challenge is to remain as healthy as you can by eating right, exercising, and following your diabetes team's advice regarding medication and monitoring. That way, you will be in good shape when the cure is available: no complications for you!

Be patient with yourself. This diabetes thing can get on your nerves. But you can do this. We are here to help. Why not get involved with one of the chat opportunities for folks your same age on-line? It might make you feel less alone.

CMB

Posted to Other Social Issues