From Michigan, USA:

My 13 year old daughter is experiencing an increase in blood sugar level during the night. Going to bed with a level of 127 and rising at 214, with no food was eaten between. Other times it decreases. What could cause the increase?

In a word, puberty. At 13, your daughter's hormones are coming out to play at night. Growth hormone and the sex hormones are (in sugar control terms) the opposite of insulin and will push up the blood sugar even when there's no food in her gut. This may be coupled with too low an insulin level in her blood as the night progresses. I suggest that you discuss the details of her blood sugars and insulin doses with your diabetes team who may suggest a change in insulin regimen such as split evening insulin -- e.g., Regular or Humalog at 5 o'clock then NPH at bedtime.

Posted to Puberty