From Stockholm, Sweden:

My 13 old sister has had diabetes since she was 8. In the last couple of years her conditions have worsened considerably and, using her disease as a leverage, she has developed in an incredibly difficult child no one is able to handle. She often breaks her diet and regimen, which has led to several serious, almost vital, events. Could you please provide our family with a list of boarding schools (if there are any) for children with diabetes, where she would be surrounded by kids with the same problems and therefore wouldn't have to prove her "normality" by non-commitment of the various prescriptions she is given? What else would you advise on this matter?

I, personally, am unaware of any boarding schools for persons with diabetes. Diabetes camp may be helpful, however.

Additional Comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Has she been seen by a diabetes team and had a thorough evaluation? Has she discussed her diabetes issues with a psychologist/social worker? There might be some support groups for kids or teenagers with diabetes. I hope these additional ideas can help her and her family.

Additional comment added 24 August 1998
Posted to Behavior