Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

My 11 year old son, who was diagnosed with Type 1 several months ago, would like to go on the pump. I would like to know how much more effective the pump is in avoiding future complications, if at all, than just having good control without the pump. My goal is to avoid future complications at any cost and will try anything that may be able to do that.

Answer:

You really hit the real point. The issue is control; we measure that using Hemoglobin A1c. The research studies documented the importance of glucose control, not method to achieve the control.

There are advocates for and against the pump. I think each has to balance for him/herself. Keep up the commitment to good control.

Posted to Insulin Pumps